Scholarships are regularly updated on the OHS website.
For more information and a copy of the application, go to:
Scholarships With Paper Application
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc: Epsilon Epsilon Sigma Chapter, Seattle, WA. (3) $500. This scholarship is open to seniors planning to attend a four year university or institution in the Fall of 2017. GPA of 3.0 or higher, application, essay, photo, two letters of recommendation. Click here for more information and a copy of the application. Deadline: April 1, 2017
Renton Community Foundation - Jeremy Gidlund Memorial Scholarship. Up to $5000. Scholarship will be awarded to high school seniors with identified learning disabilities who are eligible to receive services on an IEP and wish to pursue post-secondary education towards a degree or specific career. GPA of 2.0 or higher. Application, personal essay, high school transcript, two letters of recommendation and a completed School History & Information Form. Click here for more information and a copy of the application. Deadline: April 10, 2017.
The Freemasons of Olympia Lodge #1. (1) $1,000 scholarship and (5) $500 scholarships to seniors graduating from Olympia, Tumwater, and North Thurston School District high schools. Through granting these scholarships, Olympia Lodge #1 seeks to promote the Masonic values of philanthropy and community by supporting the continuing education goals of local students. Click here for more information and the application. Deadline: April 5, 2017.
Larson Family Scholarship. $1,000-$2000. Must be intent on majoring in political science or pursuing a career in public policy, government, or politics. Application, essay and letter of recommendation. Click here for more information and a copy of the application. Deadline: May 25, 2017.
Cody Brown Memorial Scholarship. $2000. Applicant must be a former Griffin School student who attended a minimum of two years at Griffin School and is a high school senior in a public or accredited private high school in Thurston County as of September of the application school year. Click here for more information and the application. Deadline: April 21, 2017.
(We have no other information in the Career Center on the following scholarships; go online to get applications and details.)
Scholarships for students of families that have served or are currently serving in the United States military. Amount varies. Click here to see the list of scholarships. Some Deadlines are based on previous year and may be subject to change. This list was provided by our Air Force recruiter and none of the links are connected. Deadline: Varies
Washington State Association for Justice (WSAJ). American Justice Essay and Video Scholarships. (2)$2000. Application with essay or video option. Deadline: March 17, 2017. For more information, visit https://www.washingtonjustice.org/Scholarship
Washington State Association for Justice (WSAJ). Past Presidents’ Scholarship. (2)$2000. Winners must have a history of achievement despite having been a victim of injury or overcoming a disability, handicap, or similar challenge. Must have need and community service. For more information, visit https://www.washingtonjustice.org/Scholarship Deadline: March 17, 2017.
Hearthstone Housing Foundation Scholarship Fund. $500-$5000. Application, personal statement, and letters of recommendation. Awards will be based on financial need and determination to accomplish academic goals. For more information, visit www.hearthstonehousing.org. Deadline: March 30, 2016.
Edmund F. Maxwell Foundation. Varies (Renewable). The Maxwell scholarship is designed to assist outstanding students with a portion of their cost of education. Other financial aid may be applied for and received. Students must reapply to the Foundation to renew their scholarships each year they meet eligibility requirements for a total of up to four years. Students who plan to attend accredited private colleges or universities (not state funded colleges or universities) and who are bona fide residents of Western Washington may apply for a scholarship. For more information, visit http://www.maxwell.org/guidelines.aspx Deadline: April 28, 2017.
Lewis Family Member Scholarship Fund. $750-$3000. Family members of active duty Army Soldiers, mobilized reservists and retirees are eligible to receive scholarships. Also eligible are family members of Soldiers who died while on active duty. Application packets are available online at: www.fortlewisscholarship.com Deadline: March 24, 2017
TwinStar Credit Union. (15)$2000. Applicant must be a member in good standing with TwinStar Credit Union. Completed application, essay and transcript. For more information, visit https://www.twinstarcu.com/scholarships. Deadline: March 31, 2017.
BECU Foundation Scholarships. (25) $3000. As a not-for-profit credit union, BECU is committed to social responsibility. As a result, scholarships are awarded based on a student's academic performance and passion for helping others. Applicants are required to submit their hours of community service, grade point average, and a recommendation. Selection is made without regard to applicant's race, color, national origin, religious belief, sex, marital status, age, or physical handicap. Eligibility: Only BECU members may apply. Accounts must be in the name of the applicant. Learn more about membership. Applicants must be students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Students must be a graduating high school senior or a full-time college undergraduate. All scholarship recipients must attend college full time. Click here for more information. Deadline: March 31, 2017.
Association for Learning Environments 2017 Merle Kirkley Merit Scholarship. $3000. The Merle Kirkley Merit Scholarship Award is a competitive merit-based scholarship program designed to provide financial support for Washington State high school students planning to obtain a post-secondary education. Applicants must demonstrate that their intent is to major, or obtain a certificate in, a field relating to educational facility planning and design. Fields related to educational facility design include (but are not limited to): school planning, architecture, engineering, product services and construction management. Click here for more information and a link to the application. Deadline: April 21, 2017.
BE the Whale Scholarship. $1000. For Washington State High School students. 2D original artwork. Subject: Female Chinook Salmon. Click here for more information and the application. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
CGTrader Scholarship. (1) $1000, (2) $500. Each semester, CGTrader challenges students to dig into the field of technology by writing different essays on how innovative technologies are transforming our lives. For the following Spring semester the topic is: “The future of technology in education”. All information and eligibility requirements can be found here: https://www.cgtrader.com/schol
Lewis Family Member Scholarship Fund. $750-$3000. Family members of active duty Army Soldiers, mobilized reservists and retirees are eligible to receive scholarships. Also eligible are family members of Soldiers who died while on active duty. Application packets are available online at: www.fortlewisscholarship.com Deadline: March 23, 2017.
Anacker Scholarship for the Arts Scholarship. $1000. The award is designed to recognize, encourage and support a Thurston County scholar’s study in the field of the arts. For more information and an application, visit http://www.washingtoncenter.org/scholarship/. Deadline: March 31, 2017.
Thurston County Democrats Evalyn Poff Memorial Scholarship. $1000. Application, essay, and letter of recommendation. For more information, visit http://www.thurstondemocrats.org/evalynpoffscholarship.
Building Industry Association of Washington (BIAW). (2) $10,000. Washington state residents only, must be applying to any Washington state accredited community, vocational/technical college or university and can demonstrate a need for additional funding to complete a programs in a construction industry-related field of study. Application, 3 letters of recommendation, transcript and essay. Click here for more information and a copy of the application. Deadline: May 5, 2017.
The Community Foundation of South Puget Sound - Multiple scholarships available. Instructional materials for all scholarship available through the Community Foundation of South Puget Sound are now available at: http://thecommunityfoundation.com/scholarship/
- L&E Bottling Company Scholarship - $1000 renewable for three years. The L & E Bottling Company, Inc. Scholarship Fund was established to assist graduating high school seniors in Thurston County in obtaining a higher education. Deadline: Before 5:00 pm on April 14, 2017. Click here for more information and a copy of the application.
- The Learning Seed Scholarship - $500 to $2000 with potential to renew for three years. The Learning Seed Scholarship Fund was established by the Learning Seed Foundation to assist high school seniors in Thurston and Pierce County in obtaining a higher education. This scholarship is designed to benefit students of color who have overcome significant obstacles and demonstrate a commitment to others. Deadline: Before 5:00 pm on April 14, 2017. Click here for more information and a copy of the application.
- Dan R. Montgomery Scholarship - $1000 with possible one-year renewable. The Montgomery family established the Dan R. Montgomery scholarship fund in 2003 to encourage young women and men to pursue higher education in law enforcement careers. Applicants must plan to pursue a professional law enforcement career. Those planning to attend a college or university in Washington State will be given preference. Deadline: Before 5:00 pm on April 14, 2017. Click here for more information and a copy of the application.
- Next Step Scholarship - $1000. This scholarship was created by a local businessman to assist those planning to pursue vocational careers. Available to a graduating Senior from Olympia High School with a GPA between 1.75 and 2.75. Deadline: Before 5:00 pm on April 14, 2017. Click here for more information and a copy of the application.
- William and Dorothy Judah Scholarship - $1000. The Judahs' children created this scholarship as a legacy to honor their parents. Thurston County graduating seniors, with preference given to those planning a teaching career. Deadline: Before 5:00 pm on April 14, 2017. Click here for more information and a copy of the application.
- The Rod Hetland N.O.F.A. (North Olympia Fire Association) Memorial Scholarship Fund ($1000) was created in 1997 by Pam Hetland in memory of her husband, Rod Hetland. Rod was an avid supporter of education for young people, particularly in the greater Boston Harbor/Gull Harbor communities. Many other individuals and families, who all felt that post high school education is paramount for today's youth, have made contributions to honor family member and friends. High School seniors who attended Boston Harbor Elementary for any portion of their elementary education are eligible. Deadline: Before 5:00 pm on April 14, 2017. Click here for more information and a copy of the application.
- John and Opal McGimpsey Scholarship - Up to $10,000 per year, for 4 years, to a Washington State public college or university. Application, GPA 3.0 or higher, participation in school activities and community service, personal statement, transcript, 2 letters of recommendation, copy of Student Aid Report. Deadline: Before 5:00 pm on April 14, 2017. Click her for more information and a copy of the application.
Olympia Tumwater Foundation Scholarship. $5000-15,000 Scholarships. Applicant must be planning to attend a school within the State of Washington and will be screened for academic promise, 3.0 or higher GPA, work ethic, community involvement, and moderate financial need. Application, cover sheet, transcript, SAT and/or ACT score report(s), two letters of recommendation, FAFSA student aid report and any college financial aid offers. Complete the application online, and return a printed copy to Mrs. Dale in the Career Center by the end of the school day, Monday, April 17, 2017. Click here for more information and access to the application.
SCHOOL SPECIFIC SCHOLARSHIPS
Each year we have the opportunity to nominate students from our school for scholarships given by specific colleges. If you are planning to apply to any of the schools below please see Mrs. Dale in the Career Center.
The Evergreen State College Regional High School Counselor Award $900 tuition fee waiver
Scholarships are available from a variety of sources but your best source will be the financial aid office of the college you attend. Be sure to contact them early and pay attention to deadlines.
Never pay a company or consultant to find you a scholarship. All scholarships that you are eligible to apply for and receive are FREE.
Websites can be a good resource when searching for scholarships. These scholarships draw from a larger pool of students and can be harder to get. Here are some frequently used links:
Let's Get Ready Foundation http://www.letsgetready.org/Resources/Resources
Go College www.gocollege.com
College Board www.collegeboard.com/splash/
Student Aid www.studentaid.ed.gov
Career One Stop www.careeronestop.org
Native American Rights Fund http://www.narf.org/nill/resources/scholarships.htm
Financial Aid for Native American Students (FinAidFinancial Aid for Native American Students (FinAid)www.finaid.org/otheraid/natamind.phtm
Ayuda Financieria del Estudiante en Espaniol www.finaid.org/otheraid/spanish.phtml
Hispanic Scholarship Fund http://www.hsf.net/
Questbridge Scholarship http://www.questbridge.org/
Asian and Pacific Islander Scholarship Fund http://www.apiasf.org/scholarship_apiasf.html
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Scholarship http://www.naacp.org/pages/naacp-scholarships
Students apply for financial aid no earlier than October of the year they plan to attend college. All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid and are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Forms are available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Financial Aid Officers at any college are available and eager to assist in the financial aid process.